<<< back to article list

What does 2-5-10 mean on home warranty coverage?

Blog by Diane Cardoso | November 1st, 2011

Third party warranty coverage is only available on new home construction and only builders/developers can get this insurance if they are registered through the Homeowners Protection Office of British Columbia.  www.hpo.bc.ca.
The 2-5-10 coverage is as follows:  2 years on labour and materisl (some limits apply), 5 years on building envelope (including water penetration), and 10 years on structure.  However the first 2years of the warranty, which is labour and materials is actually only covered for:  12 months on detached homes and on non-common property in strata units and 15 months on common property of strata buildings.  There is 24 months of coverage for defects in material and labour related to the delivery of electrical, plumbing, heating ventilation, air conditioning etc.